I bought my camera out on Frequent Flyer for some pictures from the last 2 days of AYC Spring Series. Since our bowman no-showed for the last day of the race we decided not to even attempt to hoist the spinnaker with the wind conditions being so blustery, so that left a lot more free time to take pictures of all the boats that did try to fly a chute, usually with less than ideal results. Read the rest of this entry »
The sink drain hose in the galley was the original hose, and since it is a below the waterline drain, I decided to proactively replace the hose this year with something a little stronger and safer, vs risk having the aging hose fail and sink the boat, and of course inspect the seacock at the same time in case if needed replaced too. Read the rest of this entry »
All of the cables for the engine were originally installed by just drilling holes through the fiberglass and routing though the open holes. There was never any attempt to seal any of the holes. Water ran down the control cables and dripped into the lazarette anytime it rained. Since it had been that way for 20 years when I bought the boat I wasn’t overly concerned, but it was something I wanted to fix. I measured out the clearance and found that a Scanstrut DS Multi would fit the space available Read the rest of this entry »
Since first buying the boat I’ve thought a set of handles at the stern would be nice for help getting up the swim ladder, but having never seen any that I liked and were cheap enough to peak my interest I had never done anything about it. That changed at the Defender spring sale last month when I picked up a couple stainless handles from one of the bargain bins, and it only cost me $15 for the set!
Installation was simple, measured and drilled two holes, sealed them up, and used large 5/16″ washers for backing. The handles even included the nuts. I sealed them with 4000uv because there is a small gap around part of the handle where it meets the gelcoat where the sealant needs to create a bridge, and butyl would look really bad there as well as attract dirt. The 4000uv will look nicer and there is a full 1/4″ of sealant in there so there is no concern for elongation issues.
They do look slightly oddly angled in the picture, but it’s mostly just the camera angle coupled with the slightly inward bow of the walk through. When the swim ladder is raised everything is clearly straight.
Last year I rebed the frame for the Companionway slats since it was leaking. When doing so I knew I needed to do the track for the companionway hatch too, but it wasn’t showing signs of leaking, yet, so I waited until this spring to get it done. I had to start with pulling off the Spray Hood, which is just 9 screws and some 4000uv to cut away and it lifts off. I had this off several years ago when Read the rest of this entry »
Growing up I learned to sail on a 14′ StarCraft Skylark at our families lake house in Indiana. I loved that boat, it has a very unique tunnel hull design that makes it extremely stable, and allows it to carry a large amount of sail, so it goes fast. It will partially plane, at the same time as it lifts half the hull out of the water and “fly’s a hull” like a catamaran would, except it is a mono hull scow. Unfortunately the boat was ageing and no longer seaworthy as a result of too many leaks in the deck to hull joint, and many soft spots developing around the boat. I went home for a week to visit family and rebuild that boat last summer, and while I didn’t yet get to sail the boat I was able to get it to within an afternoon of work shy of being ready to sail again. She will sail again this summer, and hopefully better than ever since she should be much stiffer and stronger than before. Read the rest of this entry »
My slats fit into a piece of aluminum U channel in a frame around the companionway, and the frame had a small leak. Nothing big but anytime it would rain hard I would have a few drops of water that leaked under the frame and would drip on whatever was below the companionway. Not huge, but it was annoying and I wanted to fix it before it got any worse. Read the rest of this entry »
I decided it’s finally time to add an autopilot this year. I had been holding off while trying to figure out how to install a below deck unit without spending thousands of dollars, and concluded that it probably wouldn’t ever happen. So I decided to go with a tiller pilot, and after much research on the pros and cons of the Simrad and the Raymarine units, I eventually concluded that Read the rest of this entry »
UPDATE: I replaced the 8hp with a 9.8hp, kept the same prop. will get a write-up of the engine build sometime, but the prop is great on the new engine too.
I have no issues with the power output of my Tohatsu 8hp 2 stroke engine in calm water, but when I’m motoring into chop and a strong headwind I’ve often wished I had a couple extra HP of power to move the boat along. I’ve always subscribed to the formula that the ideal minimum power for any given sailboat is right about 2hp for every 1000#’s of displacement with a fin keel boat. You can get by with less, but that should be enough to push you through the rougher weather. Read the rest of this entry »