Author Archive

Last season the poor quality of the old stamped West Marine danforth knockoff anchor that came with the boat became something I could no longer deny when my anchor failed to reset after a wind shift and tide change caused the boat to drag into the shallows and ground in the soft mud of Port Jefferson as the tide ran out (other than my pride, there was nothing damaged).  I did a lot of research on the new modern anchors and Read the rest of this entry »

A couple years ago I replaced my cabin lights with LED bulbs and I have been very happy with the results, but even with the new brighter cabin lights there just was not a lot of light reaching into the v-berth. This became most apparent when my Dad came out and we went out on the boat for a 4 day trip last summer.  Read the rest of this entry »

My single biggest complain about this boat is the lack of storage I have.  For a 27 foot boat it has more living space than most out there, but to achieve that,  Hunter sacrificed storage for living space.  When I had the galley rebuilt following last year’s fire I had the shelf area increased by nearly 100% with a combination of enlarging a shelf, and adding an additional shelf above it as well. Read the rest of this entry »

Ok, so this one is more than a little late going up, but I am finally getting around to posting the pictures from when Hurricane Irene came through.

In hindsight I was grossly over prepared for Irene as it was downgraded to a tropical storm before it it us, but when I started making my plans it was still a category 3, and there was talk that it might reach category 4 before it slammed into Long Island, Even though it is insured, I really did not want to lose my boat to the storm, so I took all the precautions I could. Read the rest of this entry »

After buying my boat I had to question if the previous owner had ever stepped foot inside the cabin as it took no time at all for my cabin sole to get filthy. The sole was not finished with anything at all besides some form of teak oil I later found to be Dalys Seafin TeakOil, and during my first season with the boat when I tried to do something to protect the sole which was rapidly getting water stains from wet feet and couple leaks that I had not yet repaired, I made the rookie mistake of asking someone at West Marine what would be good for that. I was directed to regular teak oil, and while it looked good the day it went on, and the water did stop soaking in and staining the wood, it also quickly started turning black with dirt. By the end of the season it was so bad that the holly inlay strips were no longer distinguishable from the now black teak. Read the rest of this entry »

As you can see from the bottom of this old pic, my companionway steps were looking pretty dingy…

Slat Holders Installed

Slat Holders Installed

I figured that if I was going to start refinishing the interior, I might as well start with the entrance to the interior. Read the rest of this entry »

Hunter offered the 27 with the option of either an inboard engine with all the standard options one would expect, or a outboard engine with just the basics. Since I have the outboard option I had the very limited electrical system that only included the lights (cabin, nav, anchor, steaming), and a single “accessory” circuit for everything else.  Read the rest of this entry »

Not having any shore power connection, and a small outboard engine for on demand charging has forced me to be electrically conservative on my boat since I can not just plug in and charge the batteries up whenever I want.  The result is that I have upgraded all the lighting to LED lighting, and installed a small but capable solar charging system. This has worked out rather well and I am able to sustain my electrical needs for even week long live aboard trips.  The only downside to this is when I need to run small power tools or plug in a 110v device or charger, I have to dig out an extension cord with a shore power adapter and run it. That can often take longer than the project I need the 110v power for.

I decided to install an inverter at the same time I was upgrading the electrical panel. Read the rest of this entry »

It sure took long enough, but the galley repairs from the fire that happened this spring are finally complete.  It didn’t take long to deal with the insurance company and get the initial paperwork dealt with, they even had the claim check to me within 2 weeks of the fire taking place (minus deductible of course). That’s also about the last time anything got done quickly on this project.

Read the rest of this entry »

Details to be added soon, but here are pics from a recent delivery of  J-109 “Loki” from Long Island Sound to Annapolis Read the rest of this entry »

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.