It sure took long enough, but the galley repairs from the fire that happened this spring are finally complete. It didn’t take long to deal with the insurance company and get the initial paperwork dealt with, they even had the claim check to me within 2 weeks of the fire taking place (minus deductible of course). That’s also about the last time anything got done quickly on this project.
My carpenter Les, who has done work for me before, went to order the materials only to find the teak veneer wood to be on backorder, and he was unable to find it anywhere for a few weeks. When it did finally come in, it was the day before he left for 2 weeks vacation. Then when he got back from vacation, he was assigned to a project in the city (NYC for those of you reading this not from the area) with his day carpentry job. This left him no time to spend on the project for a few more weeks, and the next thing I know one thing leads to another and it is September. Pretty much all summer I had been without the cabinets that sit above the stove and ice chest, as they were at the carpenters awaiting replacements, but I had kept the lower cabinet doors, even though they smelled like charcoal and made the boat smell like fire every time you opened them, but at least I still had some storage.
Les finally manage to get the upper cabinets and doors under the stove complete and installed just hours before my Dad arrived for his first visit since I moved 3 years ago, and our plan was a 4 day cruise around the sound. The return of my storage space was very much appreciated and used to it’s fullest on the trip, even though the melted and burned back splash was still an eyesore.
The next few weeks after my Dad and I got back from our trip left me and Les unable to coordinate any time to finish up the remaining back splash and additional shelf I wanted installed, but we finally managed to meet up today to finish everything up. He had some pieces that he needed to fix that he didn’t have time to fit properly before installing the upper cabinets and shelf, so that required a few hours of time as he had to make a few runs back to his wood shop to make the necessary cuts, but in the end everything came together very nice and the galley looked better than ever.
I had two modifications made to the original shelf design when he made the new pieces. First the original shelf edge was cut at an angle as to clear the corner of the seat below it. This diagonal cut was not necessary for shoulder or head room, and only served to sacrifice precious square inches of storage space. I had the edge cut straight to maximize the space as much as possible. The second modification was a small shelf installed above the main shelf. Between the additional space on the main shelf, and the second shelf level, I have increased the available shelf space by roughly 30-40%, space that is badly needed and will be put to good use!
Other than this pic from the fire damage, I don’t actually have any pictures that show the shape of the original shelf, but I found this picture online that someone scanned from the original sales brochure showing the galley. The different faucet pictured was for the inboard engine version that came with hot and cold pressurized water.
Here is what it looks like now, note the huge increase in shelf space.
You can easily see in this picture the handy little LED light that I have to illuminate the ice box at night for better visibility, and the teak back splash that now covers the back of the galley. The light had to be replaced after the fire as the original was half melted.