The sink drain hose in the galley was the original hose, and since it is a below the waterline drain, I decided to proactively replace the hose this year with something a little stronger and safer, vs risk having the aging hose fail and sink the boat, and of course inspect the seacock at the same time in case if needed replaced too. 

I started by using a flexible inspection camera I picked up last year and inspecting the seacock and through hull since they are under the shelf and unless you have a head the size of a 6 year old,  you are probably unable to fit your head into the compartment to actually see the seacock.  The surveyor did this in 2009 when I bought the boat, and it hasn’t been done since. The seacock and everything around it looked to be very good condition and it should easily last another 10-20 years before it needs replaced, but I noticed there appeared to be evidence of a leak a little higher up…

It turns out I should have inspected this closer before since the old hose clamps were only on there little more than finger tight! The dampness I had often found in there and attributed to condensation from the ice chest, was probably not ice chest condensation, but instead appeared to be a very slow leak from the hose. The only thing truly keeping the old hose from coming off and sinking the boat was the friction and stiffness of the rubber over the ribs of the fitting!  While it was double clamped, the hose clamps looked like they had never been properly tightened down and were doing almost nothing!

For the new hose I chose the Shields VAC XHD from West Marine since it is A) rated for below the waterline use, and B) I preferred the clean looking white hose to the black rubber raw water intake hose that was my other option of below the waterline rated hose in that size, and C) I would have needed to order and ship anything else I may have wanted to use. I didn’t need much, just 2.5 feet of 1.25″ hose.

Galley Sink Drain

Galley Sink Drain

The hose clamps that were originally installed were the perforated ones, but were still in such good condition (almost as if they had never been used!),  I chose to only replace one of them with a new non-perorated one.  I still have two hose clamps on the new hose below the waterline, but one being the original and barley used perforated clamp, and the other being a new non perforated clamp. I also re-used the singly clamp at the top of hose since it too appeared to be in like new condition, and if they haven’t rusted yet in 24 years, I figured they are made of pretty good grade stainless, and should hopefully last another 24 years.

 

Leave a Reply

Recent Comments
Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.