My hatch seals were 21 years old, and were starting to leak, so I picked up a 10′ length of replacement seal from West Marine. The old seals had flattened out and combined with their age, they had also shrunk to the point where the hatch did not even make contact with the seal at various spots anymore, this project was a little overdue.
Removal of the old gasket wasn’t too difficult, but between both hatches it still took an hour and a half or more. Under the old seal there was a heavy layer of dirt that was tough to clean out, and a residual bit of glue from the old gasket that was rather persistent, but acetone was able to cut through it pretty easily and it didn’t take too much effort to leave a clean surface. I didn’t remove all the old glue as it required a bit of scraping and I didn’t want to damage the gelcoat.
The instructions said to make a straight cut and super glue the ends of the gasket together, but if I did that then the hatch would crush the joint and over time it would destroy the joint and the surrounding material. Instead I chose to make a 45 degree joint so the hatch would press the joint flat instead of crushing it.
The forward hatch was harder to see the completed gasket on as the picture needed to be more zoomed out in order to fit the larger hatch in the photo, but you can see the main cabin hatch and it’s 45deg joint below. Remember the old gasket no longer reached above the U shaped track it sits in.