All of the cables for the engine were originally installed by just drilling holes through the fiberglass and routing though the open holes. There was never any attempt to seal any of the holes. Water ran down the control cables and dripped into the lazarette anytime it rained.   Since it had been that way for 20 years when I bought the boat I wasn’t overly concerned, but it was something I wanted to fix.  I measured out the clearance and found that a Scanstrut DS Multi would fit the space available and effectively seal the control cables. The other cables, electrical and fuel, don’t have enough clearance next to the motor mount for this type of connector, so I still need to come up with a solution for them, but at least I can address one set of holes with this.

Looking at the picture of the swim ladder you can see the two control cables going through the hull at a downward angle, which is part of the reason they drip so bad.  The other cables and hoses don’t sit at that same angle and thus aren’t as bad as these holes.

Swim Ladder Handles

Swim Ladder Handles

 

After measuring and drilling out the holes through the rubber block for the control cables to fit, I measured, marked, and drilled the 4 mounting holes for the base flange.

DS-Multi Flange Base Holes

DS-Multi Flange Base Holes

With the holes drilled I sealed the 4 screws with butyl and installed the flange using the supplied foam gasket.

DS-Multi Flange Base Installed

DS-Multi Flange Base Installed

At that point all that is left to do is slide the rubber piece down, install the top compression piece and torque the 4 machine screws down to compress and seal the cables.

DS-Multi Installed

DS-Multi Installed

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.