Friday 8/20/10 ~11:30pm
Just got to city island for the night. Left Stamford a little before 8pm and had the wind dead astern the whole way. Flew the chute and averaged about 6kts.
We tried to hook up on anchor but it kept dragging, then I noticed a unused mooring ball about a hundred yards away that looked lonely and decided to give it something to do for the night.
Got to get to sleep, have a 8:30am appointment with hell gate…
Saturday 8/21/10 ~12:30pm
Arrived at Pier 40 and picked up a mooring ball about an hour ago. Had to be carefull about all the kayakers around, a couple of them thought a big boat coming at them was fun to watch, despite me yelling at them that I was heading for the mooring ball they were next to. Also of note is the fact that many of the mooring balls are missing the pendants. I was lucky to find one that had a pendant and didn’t have a dinghy already hanging off of it. Next time I’ll bring a large carabiner or two to attach to the shackle (that is w/o pin) and tie my own pendant to it for the night.
Left City Island around 7:00am after making some coffee and eating breakfast. Motor sailed the whole way, winds were light and shifty, and I didn’t feel it was safe to kill the engine given we were in a narrow commercial channel frequented by tugs and high speed ferry boats. We got to Hell Gate right at slack tide current so the passage was pretty uneventfull. Had a seaplane take off right next to us a little upriver from the williamsburg bridge which was really cool to watch. Went by the statue of liberty for the first time on a non commercial boat, that was pretty cool.
Off to the Intrepid Sea Air & Space museum, then meeting up with friends for dinner and drinks.
Saturday Night 8/21/10 ~1:30am
Got back to the boat a few minutes ago, got hasselled by NYC Parks Dept as they close access to the dinghy dock at 1am, and we got back at 1:07am. Explained I was going to my boat, showed them the boat keys (big float, kill switch lanyard etc) in my pocket and eventually convinced them to let me in, but not until after showing them some ID (which they copied down my info) they finally unlocked the gate and let me get back to the dinghy dock.
Woke up to overcast skys and a little bit of rain mixed in with some drizzle that didn’t end until we were within sight of our home port of Stamford. Originaly I planned to spent sunday morning in the city and catch the 3:30 current change up the east river and through Hell Gate, but I woke up at 6:20 and realized the weather was crappy and would rather get home durring daylight, and we since still had 3 hours of flood current left to push us up the east river, I started the engine and threw off the mooring line while Jen started to make coffee.
I Entered the east river with 2kts of current pushing us along, building as the river narrowed until we hit speeds of nearly 8.5kts under the engine alone. Raised the sails once the river turned north and in the breif periods that the wind actually blew in any constant direction, we were doing over 9kts motor sailing. Hell Gate was interesting in the fact there were numerous eddys and small standing waves visible, I tried to avoid them as best as possible.
Cleared the Throgs Neck around 9:30 and shutoff the engine. We were on a broad reach with 10kts of wind sailing under the main and the 110% genoa doing 5.5 – 6.5kts until somewhere around Mamaroneck the wind picked up to about 15kts and I took down the Genoa, was deciding if I should reef the main when the wind picked up to 20kts and I promptly reefed the main. Good thing too, I recorded wind speeds of up to 24kts shortly after that.
We continued sailing along very comfortably without any excessive heel doing about 6kts under just the reefed main in the 20-24kts of wind for about 45 minutes until it started to die back down to 15kts, at which time I shook out the reef and sailed under just the main for about 20 minutes until the wind calmed back down to the ~10kts it had been doing all day and I raised the genoa again, followed shortly after by a little bit of sunshine which helped to try the sails out so I didn’t have to put them away wet :).
Sailed into Stamford Harbor at 12:30pm on the same tack we were on when rounding the Maritime college under the Throgs Neck, having never dropped below 5kts for more than a few minutes since entering the east river at 6:45am. By 2pm the boat was cleaned up and we were back home and ready for a hot shower!
Pictures are below.