Sailed to Port Jeff for the L&A raftup this past weekend. Singlehanded the boat from Stamford to Port Jeff. I left on Saturday around 11:30am. Had every intention of leaving earlier, but underestimated the time getting provisions / stowing them and getting the boat ready without any assistance would take.

Wasn’t able to bring the dinghy as it and the engine were on Dan’s boat as a result of our (successful) fishing trip a few days prior.

Nearly turned back around 1pm as the winds were straight out of the east (10 deg from where I was trying to get to), current was againt me, and the chop was building. I decided to motor through it for a while knowing that the return trip would be quick and easy if I did decide to go home, but the winds shifted around 3pm in conjunction with the tide change, so I ended up sailing the last few hours and making good time.

Rigged up a tiller system to help hold the helm steady, and managed to trim out the sails just right so that the last 10 nm of the trip she sailed herself without any helm input from me. Good thing as whomever last used the head told me it was getting full, but didn’t tell me it was because they didn’t flush! It ended up dumping all over, but luckily it stayed contained inside the shower basin in the head and since the boat was on a starboard tack, it didn’t even drain into the bilge (shower drain goes into the bilge). I was able to soak it up / clean everything with papertowels and dispose of them into a seperate trash back which got tied to the stern sitting on the swim platform and stayed there until I got back to the dock.

Arrived at Port Jeff around 6pm, and as soon as the anchor was set, I changed into my swimsuit and dove in to wash any remaining smell of head sanitizer from myself, and swim over to meet my neighbors.

Caught a ride from my neighbor Heinz to the beach for a little cookout / party and we all had a great time! It reminded me of sitting at the bars on the beach in the BVI around new years, where everyone else came by boat, and just wants to relax chat with people and have a good time.

I woke up for the ~4am anchor drag alarm symphony courtesy of no wind, and aimless drifting. Bill & Maureen were already on deck trying not to play bumper boats, and aside from my alarm I clearly heard 2 other alarms going off, and thought I heard a 3rd. I stayed on deck for a few minutes until I felt the wind start to pick back up and blow us all back to where we started. I knew I didn’t drag, so it was back to bed for me… Ended up leaving a few minutes after 9am after cleaning up the cabin and getting some breakfast.

I hugged the long island coast shifting between a broad reach and a reach a few times heading west at about 5.5 kts for about 3 hours (i did use the pole for a little extra speed on the broad reach), and the last hour after a small wind shift (forecasted, which was why I hugged the coast for the first few hours) I was close hauled, and doing 6-7 kts until I was back in Stamford having made the 24nm return trip from anchor to dock in 4 hours and 20 minutes, it was just starting to rain as I pulled into my driveway so the timing couldn’t have been better.

At Anchor in Port Jeff

At Anchor in Port Jeff

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.