Archive for the ‘Boat Projects’ Category
My single biggest complain about this boat is the lack of storage I have. For a 27 foot boat it has more living space than most out there, but to achieve that, Hunter sacrificed storage for living space. When I had the galley rebuilt following last year’s fire I had the shelf area increased by nearly 100% with a combination of enlarging a shelf, and adding an additional shelf above it as well. Read the rest of this entry »
After buying my boat I had to question if the previous owner had ever stepped foot inside the cabin as it took no time at all for my cabin sole to get filthy. The sole was not finished with anything at all besides some form of teak oil I later found to be Dalys Seafin TeakOil, and during my first season with the boat when I tried to do something to protect the sole which was rapidly getting water stains from wet feet and couple leaks that I had not yet repaired, I made the rookie mistake of asking someone at West Marine what would be good for that. I was directed to regular teak oil, and while it looked good the day it went on, and the water did stop soaking in and staining the wood, it also quickly started turning black with dirt. By the end of the season it was so bad that the holly inlay strips were no longer distinguishable from the now black teak. Read the rest of this entry »
Hunter offered the 27 with the option of either an inboard engine with all the standard options one would expect, or a outboard engine with just the basics. Since I have the outboard option I had the very limited electrical system that only included the lights (cabin, nav, anchor, steaming), and a single “accessory” circuit for everything else. Read the rest of this entry »
Not having any shore power connection, and a small outboard engine for on demand charging has forced me to be electrically conservative on my boat since I can not just plug in and charge the batteries up whenever I want. The result is that I have upgraded all the lighting to LED lighting, and installed a small but capable solar charging system. This has worked out rather well and I am able to sustain my electrical needs for even week long live aboard trips. The only downside to this is when I need to run small power tools or plug in a 110v device or charger, I have to dig out an extension cord with a shore power adapter and run it. That can often take longer than the project I need the 110v power for.
I decided to install an inverter at the same time I was upgrading the electrical panel. Read the rest of this entry »
It sure took long enough, but the galley repairs from the fire that happened this spring are finally complete. It didn’t take long to deal with the insurance company and get the initial paperwork dealt with, they even had the claim check to me within 2 weeks of the fire taking place (minus deductible of course). That’s also about the last time anything got done quickly on this project.
The previous owner must of had some leaks in the stanchions as he applied silicone over the the base of the stanchions and the bolts. I have been putting off rebedding them as they have not been leaking for me, but a month or so back we rafted up with a friend’s larger boat while in Port Jeff waiting for some torrential rain to ease up before we headed home, and ended up putting a good bit of stress on a couple of the starboard stanchions when the weather picked up before we could get the boats unrafted. No damage was done, but ever since then the stanchions that were stressed have been leaking. I ordered a some butyl tape from Maine Sail to rebed the stanchions with. Read the rest of this entry »
My hatch seals were 21 years old, and were starting to leak, so I picked up a 10′ length of replacement seal from West Marine. The old seals had flattened out and combined with their age, they had also shrunk to the point where the hatch did not even make contact with the seal at various spots anymore, this project was a little overdue.
This part 2 of my Solar Panel related posts, the previous post being about the Solar Charge Controller…
I drilled a hole and installed a 1/4″ cable outlet similar to this one over the starboard lazerette where the charge controller is located in order to run the power cable from the solar panel into the lazerette, thru-bolting with nylon locking nuts and sealing everything with 3M 4200 UV to keep from letting any water in. I then installed the solar panel on the stern rail using the Sunsei solar panel mount.
Even after I upgraded all the cabin lighting on the boat to LED lights last year I was still finding that on longer trips the batteries were running down and that the outboard engine did not recharge them fast enough to replenish what was being used. I realized that I needed a solar panel to keep the batteries charged up. I didn’t need anything too large, my battery bank is only about 145AH, and the boat does usually spend the whole week sitting at the dock with almost no load on the batteries. I really don’t mind if it takes the whole week to recharge from a weekend of usage, as long as there is enough battery capacity to get me back out and back the next weekend.
Having already determined that the largest panel I wanted to fit on the boat was going to be a low wattage panel, and without doing much more research on the matter I picked up a 5W Sunforce solar panel and 7A solar charge controller, as well as a Sunsei solar panel mount at the West Marine Spring Sale, and installed the charge controller this spring before launching the boat.