Archive for the ‘Boating Adventures’ Category

 Sailed to Port Jeff for the L&A raftup this past weekend. Singlehanded the boat from Stamford to Port Jeff. I left on Saturday around 11:30am. Had every intention of leaving earlier, but underestimated the time getting provisions / stowing them and getting the boat ready without any assistance would take.

Wasn’t able to bring the dinghy as it and the engine were on Dan’s boat as a result of our (successful) fishing trip a few days prior.

Nearly turned back around 1pm as the winds were straight out of the east (10 deg from where I was trying to get to), current was againt me, and the chop was building. I decided to motor through it for a while knowing that the return trip would be quick and easy if I did decide to go home, but the winds shifted around 3pm in conjunction with the tide change, so I ended up sailing the last few hours and making good time.

Rigged up a tiller system to help hold the helm steady, and managed to trim out the sails just right so that the last 10 nm of the trip she sailed herself without any helm input from me. Good thing as whomever last used the head told me it was getting full, but didn’t tell me it was because they didn’t flush! It ended up dumping all over, but luckily it stayed contained inside the shower basin in the head and since the boat was on a starboard tack, it didn’t even drain into the bilge (shower drain goes into the bilge). I was able to soak it up / clean everything with papertowels and dispose of them into a seperate trash back which got tied to the stern sitting on the swim platform and stayed there until I got back to the dock.

Arrived at Port Jeff around 6pm, and as soon as the anchor was set, I changed into my swimsuit and dove in to wash any remaining smell of head sanitizer from myself, and swim over to meet my neighbors.

Caught a ride from my neighbor Heinz to the beach for a little cookout / party and we all had a great time! It reminded me of sitting at the bars on the beach in the BVI around new years, where everyone else came by boat, and just wants to relax chat with people and have a good time.

I woke up for the ~4am anchor drag alarm symphony courtesy of no wind, and aimless drifting. Bill & Maureen were already on deck trying not to play bumper boats, and aside from my alarm I clearly heard 2 other alarms going off, and thought I heard a 3rd. I stayed on deck for a few minutes until I felt the wind start to pick back up and blow us all back to where we started. I knew I didn’t drag, so it was back to bed for me… Ended up leaving a few minutes after 9am after cleaning up the cabin and getting some breakfast.

I hugged the long island coast shifting between a broad reach and a reach a few times heading west at about 5.5 kts for about 3 hours (i did use the pole for a little extra speed on the broad reach), and the last hour after a small wind shift (forecasted, which was why I hugged the coast for the first few hours) I was close hauled, and doing 6-7 kts until I was back in Stamford having made the 24nm return trip from anchor to dock in 4 hours and 20 minutes, it was just starting to rain as I pulled into my driveway so the timing couldn’t have been better.

At Anchor in Port Jeff

At Anchor in Port Jeff

Friday night Roommate Dan and I took our girlfriends out sailing around 7pm. Wind was a fairly consistant 8-9kts according to the birthday present from him, a Kestrel 1000 wind meter. Normally I would have just put up my normal working genoa (110%) in anything over about 8kts, but I figured as late in the evening as it was it should die down soon, so I had Dan rig my drifter. I don’t recall the exact measurements of the sail but the foot is roughly 22 feet long, giving it something close to 400sq ft of sail area. I cannot run it into the jib sheet car, as the track stops 5 feet forward of the clew of the sail. I have snatch blocks that I attach to the stern cleats and run the sheet line forward to the jib sheet winches. The only picture I can locate of it at the moment is this cell phone pic from last season.

Edit: Found another picture of the drifter, you can really get a feel for the size of the sail in this one.

under sail, but with almost zero wind

The wind stayed pretty consistant around 8 kts for most of the night, and I’ve never seen my boat move so quick! We crossed the sound in roughly an hour, with the GPS reporting speed over ground hovering around 6.8kts, and jumping as high as 7.3kts for brief moments (my LWL is 22.3 ft, so my calculated hull speed is 6.2kts). with the knot indicator reading pretty close to the same most of the time (so current probably didn’t play much into it)

We ended up sailing across the sound and tieing off at the Huntington town dock and having a very late dinner at Rosa’s Pizza in Huntington Village (highly reccomend it). Followed up by a couple beers at Christophers Bar before catching a cab back to the docks.

As we came into Huntington Bay the wind died down to 2.3kts (app), when I measured the wind speed in the slot, it was reading 3.8kts, and the GPS was reporting our SOG as 3.8kts and the knot indicator was reporting ~4 kts as well. The tide was going out, and we were heading into the harbor, so any current there was, we were fighting it. That means we were cruising along at 1.7 times the wind speed. 🙂

The trip back was just as quick as the trip there. We were on a reach, so I pulled out the whisker pole and attached it to the clew of the drifter with a shackle, unfortunately I am still working to come up with a good way to attach the whisker pole to boat with this sail. I have to use the shrouds to attach to. I don’t like doing that as it puts side load on the shrouds that they are not intended on taking, but until I come up with something better, that’s what I’ve got to work with.

While Dan took the helm for a while I took a few pics of the chart plotter with my phone showing the reported speed.

reading 6.7kts


reading 7.1kts


reading 6.7kts, you can also see the cabin in this shot, with the red night time LED lighting I installed this spring.

6.7kts wide

The winds held up for the rest of the night and we didn’t slow down until we entered Stamford Harbor and started to drop the sails.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.